Friday, March 27, 2009

What is sustainability?

According to Wiktionary...

sustainability (uncountable)

  1. the ability to sustain something
  2. (ecology) a means of configuring civilization and human activity so that society, its members and its economies are able to meet their needs and express their greatest potential in the present, while preserving biodiversity and natural ecosystems, planning and acting for the ability to maintain these ideals in the very long term
My goal is to pursue both aspects of sustainability. Definition 2 is the sense in which we usually think of sustainability today - building a society that preserves the environment for future generations. This version of sustainability is the main focus of my work and what brought me into the environmental community. More recently, though, I've begun seeking sustainability more broadly in my life - the kind of sustainability that includes simplicity, peace, health, experiential living, and quality time.

I think most people would agree that we, as a global community, need both. Relatively recently ecological sustainability reached a tipping point, greatly expanding "green" options to consumers, and media attention to environmental issues. This boom has also resulted in greenwashing and consumer confusion, but one thing is clear: green is here to stay. There are also positive signs in the area of lifestyle sustainability, including the return of the "victory garden" to both the White House and communities around the country.

So how do I fit in? I can hardly claim to be an expert, at anything, but I find myself connected to a number of inspirational leaders in the environmental community, particularly in Seattle, but also nationally. In my heart I am an educator, and while advocacy isn't right for me, I believe in helping people to make informed choices about their communities. Further, I recognize that I am continually learning and growing, and the written word helps me to clarify my thoughts and feelings.

Perhaps others can help me on my journey, or I can help them on theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment