Sunday, August 9, 2009

A car-free weekend, filled with cleaning

It's been an interesting, productive weekend.

On Friday night we enjoyed a lovely sing-along/karaoke evening with friends, until the cops came by with a noise complaint. Considering we were singing Disney songs and you pretty much can't find a more law-abiding group of 20-somethings, we found this rather amusing.

Since then, Fiance-with-the-mostest and I haven't left Kirkland or used any form of motorized transportation all weekend. On Saturday I slept late, and then relaxed into the afternoon. At that point we started "the cleaning." You see, the house was a DISASTER. I wish I had before pictures, except I'd be too embarrassed to show them. Stress, heat, and jam-packed schedules meant we did a lot of procrastinating in the little time we had available to pick up. Plus, we still had organization to do since I moved in more than 4 months ago (sad).

So, we cleaned. And I'm pretty darn happy with the results. Things are organized, and everything has it's place. There are even pictures on the walls! I'll be the last person to tell you it's perfect, and we have a lot of stuff for a small space, but I feel sooooooo much better.

The blue bins on our TV stand now house Rock Band equipment.

We removed the hutch from the desk (I hate hutches. Hate them.), and created a more functional space. In this photo we're making use of my iFish and a fan, but at least there is ROOM for that!

Here's the rest of the office. You can see the floor again!

I love containers. It's kind of a problem.

We got a great bookcase a few weeks ago to fit under our counter and provide extra storage in an unused space.

FWTM picked some of our beautiful pale yellow sunflowers from the garden.

We also have ideas for some paint color changes (more details to come)...it's so exciting to be able to make these adjustments, and to feel comfortable in our home. It's also exciting to donate the things we don't need/want and simply our lives...


We still have to figure out where we're taking all the donations - I'll be reporting back. It's tricky trying to do the right thing and keep unwanted items out of the landfill. But, for now, I'm enjoying a quiet, relaxed evening in our clean space. (Contented sigh.)

1 comment:

  1. It's always great when you get rid of stuff!! And organizing always feels nice. :) But goodness, what did the poor hutch ever do to you? hehe

    ReplyDelete